John Dennis in Memoriam

I can remember the feeling of just hurling my Self forward, running, to get to Theatre 150 for Scene Study class with John Dennis. I was 19 and attending LSU. That was 27 years ago. So much of what I learned then about honesty, staying in the moment, pursuing a goal---and how taking things entirely too seriously was the surest way to evoke peels of laughter, not gravitas---have travelled with me through my life and informed all kinds of adventures and learnings beyond acting studies.
When I was 30 I produced and directed my first play in Abita Springs, LA. All the actors but one had worked with and learned directly from John in previous productions. The play was called "The Voice of the Prairie" and it had a momentary, but swooning, effect on the mythic consciousness of the community. For the final performance 250 people crammed the old Town Hall. When seats ran out folks were willing to sit up on the refreshment bar in the back that was normally a red beans and rice countertop for the weekly Bingo. To see a Play. Oh Gloria. If there was anything truly wonderful about that production, it had nothing to do with my direction, which was just a committed exercise in wrestling self-doubt. What was magnetic about the play were the performances of well-muscled actors Jena Cane, David Jensen, Jay Brady and J.P. Delahouyse, all of whom had studied acting under John's direction at LSU.
John Dennis came down from Baton Rouge that last night to see our show in beautiful old Abita Springs and we thanked him from stage for being our teacher and credited him with our good work. Afterwards he told me I was smart for putting the money I'd raised into paying the actors---they were what mattered most.
While the study of theatre in a radioactive collective of Pluto/Uranus gen X'ers in Baton Rouge, LA in the mid 80's remains one of my "most favorite things ever" I wasn't born to be an actor. But the fierce joy of those early lessons in trusting myself, learning about Change, and glimpsing the Mystery of our deep interconnectedness from within myself and others---these were experiences I had to sink my teeth into early on. Getting that chance at 19 has helped me more fully walk my authentic path. I know there are parts of us inside of one another that go on and on. May the gifts of John's life work continue to ripple out in beautiful and surprising ways through the lives of the many, many students he touched. In this we get a glimpse of the Eternal. Rest in Peace, JD. And Rock On you ravers of Beauty and Grace. Drum it up. You know the world needs it. —

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home