Monday, May 08, 2006

Colorful neighbor


I'll need some locals to confirm, but my guess is this is what folks call a "bull snake" around here, non-venomous, incredible markings, and scares off preditors by putting on a show. This beauty was on two-trees road, in front of Bill Elzey's house, maybe warming her belly on the asphalt. Not sure. I stopped for a pic and she gave me a "head's up". I felt extra confident from my car window! Apparently we don't have venomous snakes on this side of the valley. They have rattle snakes just west along the San Juan range. Maybe this bull snake chases off venomous cousins? This is the first snake i've seen since we've been here.

Update from Jay: I've masked out the road so you can see the snake better. Click on the image to view a larger picture, then leave us a note in the Comments section of this post if you can help us identify it (or take a wild guess, or just say 'Hi').

3 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Anrahyah said...

I think this may be Katerina, but I am not totally sure of her identity---she takes after her mother's side of the family, and all the girl cousins have strong resemblences.

(ps--she is a bull snake, species-wise)

;-)

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Jay said...

How do you know it's a she?

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Anrahyah said...

Silly you.....she still has all her hair! All the males had male pattern baldness in that family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home