Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Just Passing through... Antelope Pronghorns

Another in an unending series of windstorms today. By late afternoon there was a mini dust storm passing through: lots of haze in the air and just a steady churning of wind against the house, through the smoke vents, shaking the windows.

I looked outside after Kathryn got home and saw this group of antelope pronghorns passing through the yard. Watched them decide which direction to take, and it seemed to me as if they wanted to walk directly into the wind, which makes sense I suppose if you're worried about things eating you.



Anyway, by the time I decided to grab the camera they swung around to the front of the house. This is the buck (?) here and then his harem.


Finally, here they are running away from me.

Update: Actually, I just learned that technically these aren't antelope. From our local paper, The Crestone Eagle, I learned that these animals are called "Pronghorns." Turns out antelope are only to be found in Africa and Europe. Pronghorn are their own specifies, closely related to goats, and are the only surviving member of the family Antilocapridae. They are also the fastest mammals in the western hemisphere, with the ability to run up to 60 mph, and are the second-fastest land animal on earth behind the cheetah. Interesting!

3 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful close-up shots Jay!
ANrahyah

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that is some beautiful pictures!
i wish i could live somewhere were i could see such beautiful things in nature. it must be awesome in colorado!

~delia~!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Alexandria said...

Wow, great shots and good info! Thanks for sharing all that. I knew they were called Pronghorns but I didn't realize they weren't antelopes. Cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home